Monday, April 22, 2024

Injuries are awesome

In the fall of 2023, I was a complete wreck. Between work, MBA classes, mental issues about feeling incompetent in my personal life, and other additional factors, I just found myself wasting away, stress eating, being so emotional, barely moving, barely sleeping- basically, in survival mode. 

I knew that I needed 2024 to be different. I was working really hard to not be distracted. I did EVERYTHING I could to not be distracted. But then there I was, distracted. 

So when my neighbor asked me if I want to go to a strength training/conditioning (a little bit like CrossFit) gym, I wanted to go, but the only time I could do it was at 5 am. 

So I started going, and I really loved weight lifting. I know that there is a lot of science that shows that it is important for women to do strength training (improves bone density, reduces risk of diabetes due to decreased insulin resistance) . I also know that somehow, some people think it's not good for women to do it. So there I was, feeling good breaking barriers. 

I also loved waking up at 5 am and doing something so difficult. The rest of the day just felt so awesome, I FELT SO GOOD. So I kept pushing myself to do it so good, tried to keep up with my friend who is way more fit than me.

Unfortunately, this resulted in me getting an elbow injury and a little but of a shoulder injury. It is so painful! Sadly I have had to pause my weight lifting routine. 

But 2 good things came out of this. 

1. Injury made me appreciate my hands without injury. The little things I can do without being in pain. I miss being pain-free. I will be thankful for the day this pain goes away.

2. I realized how much I do love strength training. I can't wait to go back to it, and do it slowly, and give it all my love. I'm not going to push it. I am going to savor the opportunity to be awake at 5 am, taking care of my body, moving, pushing, pulling. 

I am thankful for the bad things that happened to me. God bless the injury and the pain and the heartbreak and the sorrow and the suffering.